Friday, October 12, 2007

Holy, Holy, Holy!

The following testimony is from a man who doesn’t want to be identified for safety reasons:

“My life was a disaster. Ever since I was a boy, I was involved in all kinds of terrible activities. I joined the military but was demoted because of bad behavior. After this, my life was a living hell though I didn’t realize it. Instead, I viewed myself as a brave leader among my friends. I practiced witchcraft with the purpose of harming others, and I also killed people. I try not to remember my past because it causes me so much pain. Many times I committed these heinous crimes while high on drugs. As I grew older, I was left without family and friends. My enemies even killed my oldest son in order to pay me back.

I came to the point when I didn’t know what to do with my life. I went into hiding because my enemies were trying to kill me. Another tragedy was that I helped take the life of a friend because he converted to Christianity. When we were younger and did bad things together, we’d always ask the saints for help. I was angry that my friend would change his religion and I helped take his life.

One day when walking by the Church of the Nazarene, I heard a song with these words: “Holy, Holy, Holy.” When I arrived home the song kept ringing in my ears as if the people were singing it to me. I began to repeat the words: holy, holy, holy. I shook my head trying to rid myself of the song, but wasn’t able to do so. That night I couldn’t sleep because this song kept going through my mind. Alone, I asked God to help me. I wanted God in my life but wasn’t sure what to do.

Soon after that some brothers of the church arrived and invited me to see the Jesus Film. They were sent by God. While watching the film, God confirmed his love for me and his forgiveness. I identified with the scene where Jesus forgave the thief on the cross, and I thanked God for having mercy on me and for forgiving my sins. Today I am a new creature. God has forgotten about my sins and has given me a new opportunity to live. Blessed by His name!”