Saturday, February 09, 2008

As if I Was Raised from the Dead


My name is Ruby and I am 47 years old.  When my husband abandoned me and our 16-year-old son for another woman, I began to hate myself and others around me.  In the neighborhood where I live, people feared me.  I was very bitter and everyone knew it.  I didn’t have any close friends.  I began to look for another man, hoping to find someone who would love me unconditionally.  Yet, the opposite happened, and I was hurt even worse.  Although I realized what a poor example I was for my son, it was very difficult for me to change.

Soon another man, much younger than I, appeared in my life.  Instead of helping me, he was a constant pain, causing me many problems.  Every time he came over to my house, he asked me for money to support his vices.  Because of my abusive past, I began to fall apart emotionally.  My life was in ruins.

In the midst of this desperation, I began to look for help in a Nazarene church in my neighborhood.  The same day I went to visit the church, people were leaving to show the Jesus Film in a plaza nearby.  What a blessing it was for me when they invited me to see the movie in the plaza.  I never imagined that this evening I would meet the best friend I could ever have.  I felt the presence of God in these folk and befriended them immediately.  They all were so happy, full of optimism.  That evening I accepted Christ as my Savior and brothers from the Nazarene church prayed for me.  It was as if I were raised from the dead!

Today I know that God planned all of this and I am the happiest woman in the world.  I don’t need a man to give me happiness, peace, and joy because being with Jesus surpasses all men.  He is the love of my life and the most beautiful husband in the universe.  I am now serving in the church as a Sunday School teacher.  Glory be to God!