Friday, June 23, 2006

Suicidal Man Finds Jesus

Gonzalo, nearly sixty years old, always disliked Evangelical Christians and everything they represented. Gonzalo was religious only on Sundays but during the week he was a violent man. In his home he treated his wife and children very harshly. He drank alcohol with his buddies and had extra marital affairs. Gonzalo believed this is what it meant to be a real man.

The Church of the Nazarene showed the Jesus Film on a Friday evening in the street near the house of Gonzalo. From the window of his house, Gonzalo watched the entire film from beginning to end. At the end of the movie, the leaders gave an invitation to anyone who wanted to pray. It was incredible. Gonzalo ran down from the second floor of his house and headed straight toward the people giving the invitation, saying, “Please help me. I want to have Jesus in my heart.” When the leaders asked him why he wanted to receive Christ, he replied, “This evening I was really depressed and I wanted to commit suicide. Yet, during the film I felt the love of Jesus, especially when I saw how Christ suffered for my sins. I felt God speak directly to my heart.”

Gonzalo was baptized and is faithfully attending church. The change in his life is so evident that many in his neighborhood look upon him in admiration. Glory be to God.